Rules and Punishments
Rules and punishments can save or break a teacher and her class. Rules and punishments don't
have to be severe. They just need to by consistent. Here are a few ideas.
Most teachers have visual reminders in the form of a poster(s) listing classroom rules, steps in
warning and punishments.
The warnings and punishments usually are:
- Name on board - warning
- Check mark after name-5 minutes after school(10 for 4th and 5th grade)
- 2 checks after name-10 minutes after school(20 for 4th and 5th grade)
- 3 checks after name-Talk to Principal
- 4 checks after name- call parents in for conference
If the child has to ride a bus, the time can be completed during lunch recess in class.
Rules: these vary according to the age group of the class.
- The younger children(1st and 2nd grade) may need to go to the bathroom more often but will
also play in the bathroom if allowed.
- One teacher has them wear a curly plastic bracelet to the bathroom. One for boys and one for
girls. That way only one boy or girl may go to the bathroom at a time.
- Another teacher has a teddy bear that the child places in the seat at their desk while they are in
the bathroom and returned when they come out. This way she knows who is in the bathroom
in case of a fire drill, etc...
3rd - 5th Grades:
- The teachers do not allow students to use the electric pencil sharpener. The teacher sharpens
the pencil for them. Sometimes they are adventurous and try a pen in the sharpener and ruin it.
- The bathroom can be used during recess.
- Students are allowed to use the bathroom once during class. Some write their names on the
board, and others have a bathroom pass with their name on it that is handed out at the
beginning of class each day. During the day, they may turn it in to the teacher for a trip to the
bathroom or a drink of water, etc...
- One teacher has a chart that shows hand signals with a sample hand drawn for each signal: 1
finger - sharpen pencil, 2 fingers - go to the bathroom, 3 fingers - get a drink, 5 fingers - need
Return to School Page
Return to Home Page